The Divergent trailer has finally been released! Watch it here:
Secret Ingredients Pick-up Dates: 11/2-11/14 at the adult desk.
Bake-off Date: 11/16 at 12:00pm
1. You must pick up a secret ingredient bag to compete. Pick-up dates: 11/2-11/9 at the adult desk.
2. You must use the secret ingredients that are inside your bag. It is up to you how you use it.
3. Your cookie must be made from scratch. You may not use a box mix or pre-made cookie dough.
4. You may use other ingredients in your cookie but you MUST also use the secret ingredients.
5. You must bring 2 dozen of your cookies to the bake-off on November 16th at 12pm.
6. You may only enter one recipe.
7. By November 13th, you must email your recipe, the name of your cookie, your name, your age, and a picture of the cookie or a picture of you. Please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. All entries will be made into a Cook Book.
Judging will take place at the bake-off on November 16th at 12pm.
One dozen will be for the judges and one dozen will be for contestants to taste.
- Judges will pick the top 3 winners and an honorable mention.
- Contestants will taste and vote for the peer award.
- You will be judged on: Presentation (How the cookie looks); taste; originality; how you used the secret ingredient.
- Prizes:1st Place: $50 Target gift card; 2nd Place: $25 Target Gift Card; 3rd Place: $15 Target Gift Card; Honorable Mention & Peer Award: $10 Target Gift Card
Saturday, October 26th marked the second installment of our ZB Teens concert series! This time, we threw a Dystopian concert and focused on the book Divergent, since October celebrates the release of Allegiant, the final installment of the trilogy by Veronica Roth.
We had a choosing ceremony to determine the faction in which each teen belonged, then each member had to pass three initiation tests before they were considered a part of that faction! Each faction test consisted of Divergent trivia, Hand-to-Hand combat (Wii Boxing), and a Fear Simulator (Wii Wipeout).
Yesterday, October 22nd, was the kick off of ZB University, a program made possible by the Project Next Generation grant! The PNG grant is meant to encourage the educational development of students by using mentors, technology, and library based group projects. The mentors involved with the program foster the development of their students by helping them gain technical knowledge necessary for future educational and professional success, and to develop self-confidence and pride.
Instructor Zee Amador led a group of 8 kids in the basics of photography. She introduced the teens to different types of photographers they can aspire to be, taught them some basic photography related vocabulary, and showed them how to take pictures with their digital cameras.
They were all very excited and really seemed to enjoy the class!
ZB University will continue for seven more sessions; Three sessions will continue with a focus on photography, and the last four sessions with teach students about graphic design.
For Teen Read Week this year, we held our 2nd annual INKed short story contest! The theme was “seek the unknown,” and we wanted you to interpret that theme as it meant to you. We received a wide range of stories from treasure hunters to paranormal encounters!
After judging the contest entries, we are pleased to announce the winners!
We chose two contestants for each category: one from high school and one from middle school.
Annalisa Andaleon: High School category
Mary Mullins: Middle School category
Jessica Korbel: High School category
Xander Daily: Middle School category
Tomani Raimondi: High School category
Mariama Bah: Middle School category
The first place winners won a Kindle Fire, second place was a Kindle Touch, and those in third received a $50 gift card to Tinseltown. These prizes were funded through a grant from YALSA (Young Adult Librarian Services Association) and Dollar General.
Thank you to all who participated!
Finished The Immortal Instruments Series? Looking for the next series to read? Check out Shadow and Bone & Siege and Storm from the Grisha Trilogy by Leigh Bardugo.
Alina, a pale, lonely orphan, discovers a unique power that thrusts her into the lavish world of the kingdom’s magical elite—the Grisha. Could she be the key to unravelling the dark fabric of the Shadow Fold and setting Ravka free?–Goodreads.com
The concert featured The Grisha Trilogy. Teens dressed as Grisha, listened to Russian music, ate Russian treats, and made Faberge Eggs. Check it out & check out Shadow and Bone today.
WWe rocked out to Russian music, ate Russian treats, discovered new Fantasy books, and met Jennifer Neilsen, author of The False Prince, via Skype.
If you missed the concert, join us on Oct. 26th at 2:30 to celebrate the release of Allegiant from the Divergent Series. We’ll make steampunk crafts, have a photobooth, and much more. The first 5 teens in line will get a free copy of Allegiant by Veronica Roth!